Monday 16 June 2014

Icebergs

I know that my blogs are sporadic at the moment, but it appears that I only seem to get inspiration to blog on subjects that mean a lot to me or something that I am passionate about. I had no intention of blogging today but a year ago someone I knew passed away and as such a year later I find myself sitting at work reflecting on how precious life is. I only have to look at my own life to see how much it has changed and how differently it could have turned out to realise that we only have one life and not to waste it.
 
Some people are lucky enough to breeze through life – but let’s face it those people are rare. The majority of us face bumps or even huge sink holes in the road that can stop us in our tracks. But we are all human and all stronger than we think. We all have issues and hang up’s and I can bet that everyone at some point has hidden something in order to appear ok or that they are coping.
 
Humans are like icebergs – only a small part of us is visible while the majority of is hidden away from sight where all sorts of things can fester away. We all experience this. We all put on the brave face yet why do we treat people like complete and utter shit. Why do we judge people and assume that everyone is hunky dory?
 
Don’t get me wrong, I am just as guilty of this as the next person but sometimes I think we all need to step back and pause. Think about what is going on around us and maybe just appreciate that someone is going through hell. Every office, classroom or playground has that someone who is quiet, who maybe doesn’t join in as much as the rest or on the flip is too outrageous that it isolates them. But this could just be that person surviving, getting through the day putting on a front acting the opposite to how they feel in order to cheer themselves up or appear less grumpy. Yet they are judged or talked about for being miserable or too much to handle.  
 
But how do we know what is going on in that person’s life? They could be battling an illness, mental health problems, facing issues at home or financially to name just a handful and all they want to do is get the day over and done with so they can say that they have done it! I’m sure if you knew the reason for the way that an individual behaved each and every one of us would be sympathetic and supportive. Just because they chose not to share every part of their life does not give us a reason to be judgemental.
 
So maybe we should all just stop and reflect. Look around us, at the people who walk in and out of our lives either at home or work and just think about our own life, our own troubles and think that they may just be going through something themselves. That they may have different coping techniques and just pause before assuming they are a total douche bag. It really only does take a “hello” to make someone’s day…. Why not try it and see what happens?  
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Couldn't have put it better myself. "Everyone is facing their own battles, be kind" is one of the best quotes I have ever heard, and so true.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you lovely :) We are all guilty of it - but sometimes I just think we all need to stop and think

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a message xxx